There's nothing more titillating than watching a bird flit by a window... if you're a cat. When it comes down to it, house cats are basically tiny versions of their wild counterparts, and their need to interact with nature is every bit as strong. If your buddy isn't stepping out any time soon, cat window perches are a great, and infinitely safer, alternative. Not all window perches are created equal, though, so it's important to pick the right one for your cat and your home. Today, we will look into various options to help you make an informed decision based on things like the types of windows in your home, what your goals are, and what your adorable little kitty buddies need and want - after all, that's what really matters, right?
This Deluxe Kitty Window Perch with foam cushion and fleece cover is a basic, but very functional, choice for anyone who wants to provide a comfortable lounging spot for their cat. Measuring 23.75" long and 12" deep, this bed provides a decent amount of space, which will suffice for most sizes of feline. This perch attaches to windowsills by way of support brackets and Velcro-like straps.
- Easy to install
- Fleece cover is removable and washable
- Velcro-style adhesive can be used in place of screws, so no holes in your sills
- Will not work in windows without a windowsill, and small sills can be a pain during setup
- Not quite big enough for multiple cats to perch together
- Can be a little wobbly when jumped up on
This is a good basic option. On the upside, the wooden base and construction are solid, if a little wobbly at times. On the downside, though likely to be comfortable for most cats, the bed is not as cushy as some other options, being a simple foam pad. This window perch is a great option if you're just toying with the idea, or want something fairly simple in style and setup.
Super easy to install, uniquely designed, and comfortably supportive, this mountable cat perch is a really neat option. With a 9.8"x26.4" sleeping surface, this unusually-shaped bed cradles your cat, while allowing him a full view out of the window. This cat window perch attaches directly to the window via sturdy suction cups, and comes with a comfy removable, double-sided, mat.
- Suction cup attachment means painless, hole-free setup
- Can hold up to 20 pounds-worth of cat
- Made up of unique matrials, like eco-friendly felt cloth
- The space is a tad too narrow for some cats to comfortably rest or turn around in
- Unusual design may look a little suspicious to some kitties; coaxing may be necessary
- Not an ideal size for more than one large adult cat
All-in-all, this cat window perch is a solid option. Though your kitties may not be all that interested initially, with a bit of catnip or simple encouragement, most seem to warm up to it. One downside, though, is that the bed itself doesn't exactly have four walls - the side facing the window is open. This means that during the warm months, your cat will be nice and cozy; however, in the cold season, you may need to add some extra cushioning to keep from freezing him out.
Simple but functional in design, this Angela&Alex perch is a great option for those who want something that's unfussy, and easy to take up and pull down as necessary. Measuring 29.5"x21.5" while hanging, the surface of this perch is quite flat and holds between 50 and 55 pounds, making it comfortable and safe for one cat to sprawl out or two cats to cuddle up. The frame is made up of firm PVC pipes, and the cords are a solid steel; while the washable Oxford cloth cover is breathable, allowing your kitty to stay nice and comfy. This perch attaches directly to the window with four suction cups.
- Simple to install
- Has a flat design that makes it easy for cats to move around on
- Fabric is meant to go on tightly, and as a result, can be a little tricky to attach intially
- The section cups do not seem to be as heavy-duty as some other options, so you may need to replace them
- The no-frills style may not be suitable for every decor
As far as cat window perches go, this simple item can work for just about any home. With its durable and functional construction, surprisingly large weight capacity, and undaunting appearance, most people will find it makes for a nice addition to their kitty sanctuary. However, as the suction cups can be problematic at times, you may need to find an alternative solution for attaching them.
Another window perch with an understated appearance, this one is remarkable because it boasts not one, but two levels. Two whole levels of kitty perching, playing, surveying fun! Made up of decent metal frames, sturdy lanyards, and soft, thin plushy mats, it measures around 23"x13". The top row has a small hole for either climbing through, or placing a small, wide-lipped bowl. The capacity for this perch is around 55 pounds, which should be more than enough for a few reasonably hearty cats, or lots of little-bitty ones... you know... whatever you have in your home. This perch attaches by way of six suction cups.
- Two level design and generous weight allotment make it ideal for a multi cat household
- Surprisingly sturdy
- Because of the double-storied design, this perch can add some extra playing and napping space in a small room or apartment
- Might be too narrow for larger-sized cats
- Not as aesthetically-pleasing as other options
- Assembly can be a little tricky to figure out initially
Although the appearance may be a little basic, this cat window perch is one of the better choices for homes with either multiple cats or smaller living areas. Its double stories, durability, and reasonable weight capacity can help add some much needed extra space.
Like most of the other cat window perches, this particular piece mounts to the glass with strong suction cups. What makes this product unique is its lovely design - a simple square platform with curved bamboo legs. Because of its relatively large size, it can be used by larger kitties or a multiple cats, all while saving floor space and without sacrificing your interior design. This perch measures around 24"x14"x2", and can weighs a hair over 9 pounds.
- Simple, stylish design
- Perfect for heavy or multiple cats
- Made of a solid, eco-friendly bamboo
- Windows need to be a minimum of 24" wide, meaning it may not fit in every house
- Cannot safely be converted into a wall perch
- Simple design may not fit every aesthetic
Overall, this is a really lovely window perch. The materials are quite sturdy, and the suction cups are a very good quality - provided you clean both them and your windows thoroughly - and, if you haven't noticed, I'm a real fan of the design. However, its large size may either work for or against you. That is to say, if you have smaller windows, this will be tricky to place; however, if you have more than one cat - or a particularly sizable feline - an a few smaller side-by-side windows, it might be worth finagling.
Because kitties love to bask in the sun and love to stare at potential prey, cat window perches are a wonderful addition to any feline-friendly home. There are plenty of options on the market, and I hope that this article has given you some ideas that will suit you, your cat, and your house!
Cats Will Play is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. For more information, visit our Full Affiliate Disclosure.