Whether utilized indoors or out, used as a funky alternative to a traditional bed or as an interactive toy, cat tents are a fun option for kitties who love a good sneak attack or cozy hidey hole. These unique little contraptions come in a variety of styles and functions, and you will have to make your decision based largely on what it is you intend to use it for. For example, though a clothy teepee-style tent may be attractive, it isn't ideal for outdoor use. On the other hand, a cat-sized camping tent may be able to withstand a lot of hearty use, but it might be too large for an indoor toy. Today, we will look into a few different options to help give you some ideas of what's available, and what would be best for your particular needs.
Indoor or Outdoor?
Ever dream of taking your kitty camping?Maybe you just want to give him a little bit of time in the backyard? Either way, if you want something that looks like a miniaturized version of what you're using for your outing, then this is one of the best cat tents for you. Made up of breathable mesh, 210 D water-proof polyester cover, and flexible fiberglass rods, this particular item looks like a proper tent, and is made to handle all variety of conditions - from humidity to light rain, harsh sun, dust, and bugs. It measures 45.3"x34.6"x28.3", weighs about 2.8 pounds, and comes with a storage bag.
- Because of its size, it can be used either outdoors or in
- Offers a lot of airflow, with mesh windows all around and a ventiliation top
- Provides plenty of protection from the elements
- Fiberglass rods, though flexible, may be a little weak if your kitty is strong and excitable
- The bottom is made up of a light tarp, which may not be comfortable on uneven ground
- Instructions do not come included, so setup might be a little tricky
All-in-all, this is a great option - it is durable, holds up to a number of weather conditions, and its size makes it usable both outside and in. However, you may want to invest in a moisture-proof bed to put on the floor, as the basic tarp material may make things a little uncomfortable after a while, and if your cat is the type to bounce off of the walls, you may want to replace the existing poles with some aluminum ones.
Indoor or Outdoor?
With its bold colors and unusual shape, this cat tent is something of a showpiece. Constructed from light, breathable material, steel wires, and a comfy bed. The tent measures 17" around, while the bed is about 15". In addition to the tent and bed, this fun little contraption comes with a small yet enticing bird on a string toy.
- Machine washable
- Assembly is quick simple
- Designed to be portable, so kitty can camp anywhere
- Not as sturdy as other options, so larger or particularly vigorous kitties may find themselves flopping this tent around
- May not be big enough for multiple cats
- Because of its light weight, you may need to weigh it down a bit to keep it from wobbling
This is a very stylish indoor cat tent, and is just about the perfect spot for your kitties to play - both on the inside and out of it - as well as hide, perform covert feline operations, or simply hide away all of his toys. On the downside, that oh-so-comfy bedding might be a little too thick, so you may find that in order to get your cat interested, you'll have to forgo the extra fluff!
Indoor or Outdoor?
Another fantastic indoor/outdoor cat tent, this particular option is less stylish and more adorable. Although it is a bit on the smaller side, it's large enough for 15 pounds worth of feline, which means that bigger kitties or multiple smaller cats will all have a chance to use this thing. This tent is made of a flame retardant 100% cotton canvas and a pine wood frame. It measures around 24"x20" and weighs roughly 3.4 pounds. In addition to the tent itself, this item also comes with a comfy cotton cushion, and a small hanging blackboard. You know... in case your kitty has something important to announce!
- Can be used either indoors or out
- Good size for larger cats or multi cat households
- Well made and surprisingly sturdy
- If you plan on using this outdoors, keep in mind that there is no way to keep your cat securely placed in this tent - it's really more of an outdoor bed/hiding spot
- Cushion cover cannot be removed, so you may have to hand wash if your washing machine's gentle cycle isn't particularly gentle
- Might be a little tricky to set up
This tent is somehow big and cute all at the same time. It is perfect for keeping your indoor kitties busy, but also a nice place for your outdoor felines to hide or snuggle up. On the downside, because the material is a bit on the rough side, you might find yourself regularly taking a lint roller to it.
Indoor or Outdoor?
If you want your kitty to experience the outdoors, but you'd rather not let him roam free, this may be one of the best cat tents for you. Unlike the types that mimic their human tent counterparts, this style is a good deal more open, allowing your cat to see more of the action while still remaining perfectly safe. It is made up of 100G PE tarp with 40T net materials, and a springy, flexible frame. The measurements of this tent are 74.4"x35.5"x31". It is very lightweight, and comes with a carrying bag.
- Strong netting lets your cat get some good visuals, and allows for proper ventilation
- Large zipper door makes it easy to get your kitty in and out
- Roomy size makes it easier to fit both your cat and his accessories - like litter box and bed - inside for extended periods
- The thin floor may be a bit uncomfortable on certain ground, so you may have to add a towel or other bedding
- Tricky to fold back up, meaning you might just opt to leave it open, or at least spend some time searching for YouTube tutorials
- Perfect for a mild, sunny day, but may not be ideal for more inclement weather
If you want to give your kitty the outdoor experience in the comfort of your own backyard, you really can't go wrong with a tent like this. However, if you're planning something a little more rugged, this may not be the perfect option. The netting is great for catching a breeze, but it won't offer a lot of protection if you get caught in a storm.
Whether you use them inside or out, as a unique piece of home decor, or a mode of airing out your kitty, cat tents are an excellent idea. Not only will they provide comfort and safety, they will also give you an extra element of fun. And who couldn't use more of that, huh?
Cats Will Play is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. For more information, visit our Full Affiliate Disclosure.